Monday, February 14, 2011

Why I Hate Valentine's Day



Valentine’s Day has evoked a myriad of negative emotions over the years. When I was single it was, “Will anyone ever love me? Will I be alone for the rest of my life?” I would imagine all these happy women getting cards and candy and there was Helen, alone and unloved. I heard recently that Valentine’s Day is called SAD - Singleness Awareness Day. I think that sums it up pretty well.

The issues, however, did not end after I said, “I do.” Then it became, “I wonder if my husband will get me anything for Valentine’s Day?” Or, “Why can’t he be more original, flowers again?” So now we have MADD - Married and Discontent Day. Is anyone happy on Valentine’s day?

Years ago my husband and I decided not to exchange gifts on Valentine’s Day. My husband loves me, he’s just not big on gifts, so let’s just forget about it. Neither of us could stand the stress.

Now I’ve determined to stop focusing on what I don’t have on Valentine’s Day and be content with what I have. Now I try to bless someone instead. So on this day, choose to be content with your life and find someone to bless. Don’t let Valentine’s Day make you SAD or MADD.

No comments:

Search This Blog