Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Raising Adults

By next week I will officially have two kids in college. One of my parenting mottos has been, “We are raising adults.” And here we are.

When my children were young they took everything I had. The sleepless nights, the diaper changing, the crying, then the whining took their toll. It was a hostile take-over. But gradually I learned to enjoy and relish each developmental season.

Last year, when my daughter left for the first time, the hole in our family was palpable. Unexpectedly, the four remaining family members drew closer and fresh intimacies emerged. New beginnings all around.

“There is life after kids,” I’ve been told by happy empty-nesters in my church. This helps me to know that there is fulfillment, meaning and opportunity post-child rearing. The “hostile take-over” is coming to an end. Thankfully, I still have one more at home to raise. And I’ll never stop watching from afar as my offspring explore new horizons. My “adults” are almost raised and it has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life.

4 comments:

MaryLu Tyndall said...

I still have one at home too, Helen, but I have to say that although it's sad to see them go and hard to adjust to a new life, there are grand new horizons in the future. More time with you and your hubby, lots more time to dive into your writing or hobbies! And then think of future weddings and grandkids. Although most of my kids don't live at home, I still see them and talk to them a lot. Except now I have more freedom!

Helen Bratko said...

Thanks MaryLu, I know there is good in every season. Thanks for your comment.

Dineen A. Miller said...

I'm so glad you two are around right now as I "lose" my youngest and Mike and I become empty nesters. He's already planning to get another dog. LOL! Sigh...appreciate you, ladies, and your understanding hearts. :-)

Helen of SJ said...

How satisfying it must be! This post is more encouraging to me than you know. We are still in the early teen years. Some days it feels like we're just trudging through the mire each step of the way. Thanks for the reminder that I should try to enjoy each stage of their development, and that these years go by all too fast.

Search This Blog